While on our road trip to Mineral de Pozos, we got to visit some of the town’s famous abandoned mines. Three imposing pyramidal smelting ovens greeted us on the long rocky drive towards the mines. They were breathtaking against the desolate landscape and crumbling buildings. Visiting the ruins only deepened the intrigue of the ghostly Mineral de Pozos…definitely a must-see if you are visiting Guanjuato and San Miguel de Allende!
There is nothing I love more than a quick roadtrip to Austin. I went a few weeks back and finally rounded up a little guide to Austin! The city lives up to all of its hype, and then some. As someone who loves to eat and loves to vintage shop, it’s my version of utopia. I’ve been making a list of places I wanted to visit for months. We love to stay at the W in Austin, the rooms are amazing! We had a great lunch at Trace upon arrival.
I packed lightly and stuck to basics for this roadtrip. My suitcase is always pretty much 90% grey! Michael Kors generously provided me with their new Jet Set 6 shoe collection for this trip and it made packing for this trip really amazing since it comes together in one suitcase. I brought a pair of classic white sneakers, gold sandals, and the above pair of white python heels, plus the suede booties, tan wedge and strappy python pump show below. It was perfect!
Something I always look forward to in Austin is visiting the Blue Dahlia Cafe. It’s a little French brunch place that has amazing tartines and pastries. There are always cute dogs on the patio. It makes me happy!
I wore the sneakers for vintage shopping in the morning. Just the thing for an afternoon of marathon vintage shopping!
I found amazing stuff while I was in Austin, and I bought the squashblossom necklace of my dreams there! I also left behind a vintage bag that I’m still kicking myself over. Pictured above at Charm School Vintage.
Pictured above: Garment Modern vintage.
I wore a vintage find from Garment that day to the pool at the W. Love this piece! The gold sandals I’m wearing are part of the Jetset 6 collection. I can’t tell you how much I love them…they are the shiniest, goldest gold you can imagine. I’m going to wear these all summer.
The above beauties are the python-embossed heels from the Jetset 6 collection. These look so great, the metal detail is so dainty and pretty. Perfect for a dinner look with grey skinnies and a loose trench.
I’ve been planning my dream list of Austin eats for months. If you are looking for great food in Austin, these are some of my favorites: Clark’s, Parkside, Sway, Olamaie, Kome and Justine’s. I also love the Weather Up for drinks and snacks. I have to go every time I’m there, it has a beautiful patio and a great food menu!
You can find the whole Michael Kors Jetset 6 collection for your next trip here! Hope my Austin guide comes in handy for you someday. It’s so worth the trip!
While we were in Mexico we took a day trip to Mineral de Pozos, a neighboring abandoned mining town high up in the mountains. After an amazing day exploring the decrepit remnants of the city and stunning landscape, we enjoyed some margaritas back at Posada de las Minas. The hotel was a sight to see in itself. We took advantage of the stark backdrop of the town to shoot this amazing 70s dress!
Hello and happy Monday! I just got back from beautiful San Miguel de Allende and can’t wait to share our photos with you! As much as I love traveling, I missed the creature comforts of home. Today over my morning coffee I thought I’d share the things that make our house a home and a few of the things that kept me going when I was homesick.
1. The pets. That would be our three dogs and one evil cat: Jimmy and Melanie and Stella. Winston is the cat, and he takes great pleasure in his role as the household villain. I kind of miss his routine assassination attempts on all of us. Excuse the gratuitous pet photos that follow…
Melanie, three year old chihuahua/rat terrier/dachshund(??) mix. She is incredibly smart. She could probably learn to drive a car, given the opportunity.
Stella, nine year old German Shorthair Pointer. She is a faithful guardian of plush toys and helpful sous-chef come dinner time.
Jimmy, the mama’s boy.
Known terrorist and trained killer, Winston.
While I was gone and feeling homesick for the pets, I got hooked on this Instagram account. Steve lives with his 8 dogs and pet pig, Bikini. Basically, the dream life. My other favorite dog account to follow is Susie’s Senior Dogs, though the stories often bring a tear to my eye! Senior rescue dogs are the best.
2. My boyfriend, family and friends of course. Homesickness isn’t really about home, it’s about being away from the people you care about! Thankfully there is Facetime. Now if only the dogs could learn to text….
3. Home-cooked food! I always miss the the clatter and bustle of our kitchen, as we try to side-step our dogs while making dinner. I have a few things I want to attempt this week, including kung-pao chickpeas and a roasted garlic souffle (obsessed with making souffles as of late). I think tonight we are going to have a laid-back assortment of snacks for dinner. For us that usually means a few veggie sides, and a couple of great cheeses and meats. I’m thinking some St Andre cheese (which I’ve just learned is only 75% butterfat, guys!) smeared on a baguette with a slice of pear and a big side of some garlicy sauteed asparagus.
Photo by James Ransom for Food52.
4. Almost-daily visits to Salvation Army. When I’m away from home I get thrifting FOMO. I know that sounds dramatic but it is true. We have such amazing thrift stores in Dallas and they turn their stock over at lightning speed. Usually during the work week I do a five minute daily cruise through the home goods and a quick browse through the clothes. So many of my favorite pieces in my home come from the Salvation Army on Harry Hines here in Dallas.
Above is a massive painting I got at Salvation Army for a song.
The above tapestry is not mine but a thrift find my mom scored. This piece is 3′ by 4’! I am very jealous of this. This is the kind of stuff I could be missing out on if I don’t check Salvation Army today.
5. Two things that never change about my routine when I’m home: morning coffee followed by an invigorating morning workout. I’ve blogged before about my love for Ballet Beautiful’s fitness program, and just last week Mary Helen Bowers released a totally killer new Bridal streaming package. I know it’s a killer because I tried the Bridal Waist workout while I was in Mexico and I felt muscles I never knew existed before. Going in for round two this morning, wish me luck!